Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Hadley's Story

My name is Hadley. I too, had scoliosis. My mother noticed it when I was 12. I went to the doctor and we were told to wait. Three months later when I returned my curve had progressed nearly 15 degrees. I was put in a brace for over a year. It was incredibly painful to go through Jr. High as a "freak." But the brace didn't work, and all the emotional scars it had brought me were for nothing. I was told I'd have to have surgery. By that point my curve was over 60 degrees. I was optimistic. I thought it would be fun. I thought I'd get lots of gifts and visitors. But it didn't turn out that way.

     My first surgery took place on June 28, 1999. It lasted 14 hours. The doctor cut through my side, corrected my kyphosis, and removed a rib. Then an incision was made down my back to correct my two curves. 2 metal rods were put in. My doctor said it was the most severe surgery besides Spina Bifida that I could go through. I was in the hospital for a week and then I was sent home. After my surgery I was in more pain than anyone can ever imagine. At home it was terrible. I would scream and sob for hours on end and sank into a severe depression. After only 3 days at home, I went to see the doctor. I was losing a lot of blood and was told from the complications I would have to have more surgery. I was in the hospital again for another week. During the previous weeks I had a steady stream of visitors and stacks of gifts and flowers. But as the weeks went by my friends seemed to forget about me. I was depressed as I thought of them leading normal teenage lives and I had to go through this hell. My incision in my back wasn't healing and I had to have a third surgery.

     It was the day before my 15th birthday. I was luckily able to go home on my birthday, but it was still a horrible day. I cry as I write this, for I'm remembering the depression, pain, and anger I felt. I asked myself over and over why it had to be me. I started my first year of high school on time, in a wheelchair, and a brace. My friends seemed happy to see me, but everyone was uncomfortable around me. I felt out of place in a huge new school. Starting high school is very stressful, and even more so when you're handicapped. But I am proud of what I have accomplished.

    The lonely days and nights full of pain are over. I am amazed I survived. So many times I held a knife to my wrists and almost ended it all. The reason I'm writing this is to tell others there is hope. That summer taught me more than a simple teenage summer would have. I've established a closer bond with my parents, and I've realized who my true friends are. My life is nearly normal now. I'm even starting to bend over more and more every day. I never thought I could do that again. Every day I experience little blessings. Last night when I babysat I thought how lucky I am when the little boy wrapped his arms around me and told me he loved me and I was the "bestest baby sitter ever." I think of all I would have missed had I given in to the demons surrounding me.

    I'm going to turn 16 and get my driver's licence I have my life back. And I'm thankful. So for anyone facing what I've been through, know that there is hope. You can make it. Don't give up.


By Hadley, Spring 2000

No comments:

Post a Comment